Normally all company payables are settled using properly generated and properly received invoices as support. Any exceptions are supported by internal memos signed off on as allowed by the Policy and Procedures Manual.
- The Operations Clerk/Officer or assigned custodian will maintain and store in a safe place an adequate supply of blank cheques for use on a daily basis.
- Receive invoices due for payment and review for authenticity, approve bona fide liabilities, query and resolve any claims that may arise.
- Check invoices:
accuracy and approval
adequate supporting documentation
agreement with purchase order
- Prepare cheque requests coded with the appropriate general ledger account numbers. This process is manual in some offices and in others, fully automated.
- Attach supporting documentation to cheque request forms and pass to the Operations or Finance Division for approval.
- Review and approve cheque requests that have been properly processed. Follow up any discrepancies.
- Cheques usually to be signed by two (2) authorised signatures or as dictated by Policy and Procedures.
- The Operations Clerk/Officer or assigned custodian retrieves cheques from cheque signatories and separate from the cheque request forms.
- Record cheque in outgoing cheque register and despatch promptly to the payees directly, by mail or by bearer.
- Stamp cheque requisition, invoice, or bill “PAID” to prevent re-use inadvertently or otherwise.
- File cheque request forms.